Mike Martindale

Friday, August 8, 2008

Lessons From Broncos Training Camp

I was at a wedding in Denver a couple of weeks ago. It was a really fun time, as a former student was marrying the “girl of his dreams.” It was a pretty small affair, several hundred miles away from all of our home towns, but some of the old youth group came in to be a part of the wedding party.

One of those former students (who was serving as the best man) is now a grad assistant on the (football) coaching staff at a major football university a few hours south of Lubbock. While we were at the rehearsal dinner, he exchanged texts with another acquaintance who is now a pro scout. The acquaintance encouraged him to come out to the Denver Broncos Training Camp the next morning. The student mentioned it to me, and next thing we both knew, we were going to Training Camp.

The next morning we arrived at Camp and were directed to the “A” parking lot. When we entered the gate – just a hundred or so feet away - we were directed to the VIP table, where we received VIP passes and were personally ushered onto the field. I was taken to the VIP seating section (a choice patch of finely manicured grass about ten feet off the 50 yard line at field level, where I could see and hear virtually everything on that half of the field). My friend was directed to the Broncos offices where he met with the staff scouts and coaches for the Broncos and then got to be on the field with the coaches during the practice. He even had a meaningful conversation with the Head Coach, who – get this – KNEW he would be there (he’d been told by the Broncos GM). Incredible.

Don’t think for a minute I didn’t stick my chest out a little further as I walked around with my VIP pass prominently displayed. I loved it everytime someone tried to sit on “my” grass and the security people politely told them, “I’m sorry, but this spot is reserved for VIP only.” Several folks who were “shooed” away made some comment to the extent of “What? Don’t I look good enough for you? Aren’t I VIP quality?” I remember one guy even asking, “What would make me VIP?” He was told, “Most people in VIP know someone…”

Me, I just sat there on my cool patch of grass in the bright sunshine and basked in the glow of my VIP-ness and smiled!

Needless to say, it was a wonderful morning – something I never expected to get to do. It was a nigh perfect morning there in the foothills of the Rockies, in the glorious morning sunshine, just a few feet from all-pro, all-world athletes. The players, the staff, the people were amazingly pleasant as they went about their tasks. I kept thinking, “I can’t believe I’m here. I never could have arranged this! What a trip!”

Later, on the flight home, I reflected on the day – and it hit me – this is the Christian life! We’ve been given something really great that we don’t deserve because we know someone. It’s not ours to earn. There are a lot of people who may “look” good enough – who are probably VIP quality. But it’s not their awareness or their passion or any kind of deservedness that gets them in. They – we – have to KNOW someone (Jesus).

What a great gift! And then there is the most important part – because we know Jesus – we have the confidence to climb the mountain of God and the right to boldly enter into the very presence of Almighty God (Heb 10:19)! What a trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment