Mike Martindale

Friday, March 13, 2009

God Stories and Men's Fellowship

We talk a lot around these parts about The Heights being "Deliberately Different." We've made no secret about the fact that THF was begun to reach the "unchurched, dechurched, and poorly churched" of our community. That point was illustrated to me once again on Thursday morning as I met with our THF Men's Fellowship (6:30 am Thursday mornings in the THF Mall, gentlemen!).

One of our elders was leading a discussion of our morning text - Acts 22, and he asked the group to share their God stories with one another. Of the six men who shared, none of them had the same story...only two of them even had the same origin for their spiritual journey. And nearly everyone came from an "unchurched, dechurched, or poorly churched" background too.

As I looked around that room of fellow pilgrims, I was left to ponder the wonder of my God, and His continued work in the lives of those like myself, who are so undeserving. And I remembered that scripture an old fisherman, turned pastor wrote:

Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not
received mercy, but now you have received mercy. 1 Peter 2:10 niv

And I was grateful all over again for the message of mercy!

No comments:

Post a Comment